Science Teacher

My photo
United States
7th and 8th grade Science Teacher, Robotics coach

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Web 2.0 -- There's something for everyone!

 www.space-matters.info
What property of H2O makes this possible?
    This week's assignment was to explore other web 2.0 applications. I explored and I explored, and I'm amazed at how much is out there for whomever wants to use it.  There are applications for every career field, hobby, etc.  If you need something there is something that can be utilized in some capacity.

 I signed up and explored Ediscio-- an online web 2.0 flashcard tool.  Ediscio can be customized however you want it.  You can decide who can see the contents (flashcars), who can invite other users and    who can edit the cards.  I decided that my students would see the contents, and not the general public. I want to be the person who invites users - only my students will be able to study with the cards and my students will also be able to edit the cards.  The cards can be organized by topic, date, etc. so that they are easy to organize and retrieve. This will provide convenience for my students because most of them don't like carrying books, but will readily utilize technology to research and study.  I believe the hardest part of this will be inviting all of my students via the email to use this tool.  I'll have to study it more to see if there are other options.

I'm allowing my students to edit because I want them to finish making the cards.  I put key terms and questions on the cards.  Their job will be to put the answers on the cards and study them.  These will be a wonderful tool to help them study for Friday quizzes.

I really like that I have the ability to add pictures and MP3 files to the cards.  These can be used for hints to the questions and to help them memorize the terminology.

~Hope~

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I like being able to customize cards to what I taught in class. Sometimes the best resources are the simplest and this looks like one of those tools. Students are only going to use resources they understand and this one would be easily used by all students. Thanks for the resource

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat resource. I love the ability to add pictures to the flashcards. I have used Study Stack before but it does not have the option to add pictures. It does take your information and create games such as hangman and crosswords. It also has the option to create quizzes and tests. The site can be found at www.studystack.com

    ReplyDelete